XRF offer solutions for Petroleum & Petrochemical analysis that compliance with the ASTM standards and regulations. Our ultimate solutions help covering the production process completely starting from research & development up to process & quality control.
The petroleum market is probably the second largest market for XRF after the geological mining and minerals. There are a number of applications at virtually every stage:
- Sulfur in Oil and Fuels- The current Ultra Low-Sulfur (ULS) allowable limit According the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is 15 ppm (parts per million) of Sulfur (16) in petroleum and petroleum products and the allowable levels continues reducing.
- Lead in Gasoline- Lead is an anti-knock additive that is added to gasoline. It is used at concentrations of several hundred PPM is leaded gasoline and approximately 13 mg/L in unleaded gasoline.
- Manganese in Gasoline- Manganese is another anti-knock additive that is used primarily in Canada at very low PPM concentrations. This application can be done with XRF instruments.
- Chlorine in Crude Oil- Crude oil is desalinated to remove salts that are naturally present. Crude oil needs to typically be below 50 PPM before it can be refined. XRF analyzers can be used for this application.
- Nickel and Vanadium in Crude Oil- These elements can poison catalysts used in the refining process. Less than 5 PPM concentrations are preferred. XRF analyzer can do this application.
- Sulfur, Nickel, and Vanadium in Residual Oil- These elements are monitored for either emissions or recovery purposes.
- Sulfur in Coke or Carbon- There are numerous uses for Coke and Carbon, and the material becomes more valuable the lower the sulfur, with electrode grade carbon being quite valuable. This application can be done with XRF instruments.
- Mg, P, S, Ca, Ba, Zn, Mo in Lubricating Oils- Lube oils contains number of additives. Some additives are stabilizers, and others improve lubrication. Motor oils are the largest single class of lubricating oils in terms of volume. XRF has ASTM methods covering some of these additives.
- S, Cl, As, Pb, Cd in Waste Oil and Waste Fuel Oil- Waste oils such as used lubrication oil are used in a number of oil fired power plants and kilns. These are monitored for toxic metals chlorine, and sulfur per environmental protection agency guidelines. XRF instruments can perform these measurements.